Pages

Saturday 4 August 2012

Butternut

Ta Da!!!  Here it is.  Butternut, designed by Anne Hansen - another project done for GiftStash 2012.


While it felt like it was a quick knit, it actually took just over a month.  It was done in the evenings sitting in front of the TV as well as a few weekend mornings sitting on the porch.  What I like is that I'm not really taking any time out of anything else - I can't just sit and watch TV - I need to do something with my hands so this feels like I'm not "wasting" time in front of the tube.


There's also an interesting lesson in economics here.  This skein of yarn (Marrakesh, from Handmaiden Fine Yarn
was purchased for about $36 (CAD).


My initial thought was that was a scandalous amount of money to spend on a single skein of yarn and I was somewhat resistant to the idea.  When I was shopping, I couldn't decide so I polled a pile of other knitters on what I should get for a pattern I was going to start and this was their vote.  But here's the thing.  The skein was 100g - just like so many others I've bought, but unlike the others,  it was 700m of yarn.  700m....that's 0.7km of silk and baby camel yarn.  I didn't think of it at the time, but you can make A LOT of stuff with 700m of yarn.

This was the original scarf.



And I still have 140m left.  It's not a huge amount, but with some careful planning I can get a third something out of the skein.

So two silk and camel scarves and a future consideration for $36....not a bad deal at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment