Pages

Thursday 4 April 2013

One Red Sock

I didn't plan to be away for this long, but holiday weekends do tend to interfere with knitting time.  I had ten people over for Easter and while I love to entertain on this scale, and had a great time with family, there was very little knitting done.

I do however have a sock to show you.


This is made from Regia 4 ply yarn.  It feels quite coarse in the ball and is reputed to wear like iron but don't be fooled by it - it knits up into a nice sock and is much softer than I expected it to be.  As for the colour....that was an impulse purchase about a month ago.  While dressing that morning, I had a passing thought that red socks would go well with what I was wearing but I didn't own any.  Later that day, I happened on red sock yarn so without really thinking about it, I bought two balls.

A funny thing about colour is what we associate with it.  I said once that I had never in my life owned red socks but that isn't true.  I did once own red socks; even made them myself.  I don't know if I genuinely forgot about these, or suppressed the memory, but when we were moving from Beijing, China back to Canada I made a pair of red socks.  It was something for me to do with my hands while 10 men  (honestly - there were 10) roamed my house and packed all my things in preparation for the move.  It seems it was also a place for me to put all the stress of an international move.  I never actually wore the socks when we got to Canada - they were the normal number of stitches but were knit so tightly I couldn't get them on.  This sock fits much better.

I also finished a new skein of handspun.


This is made from Knit Picks Full Circle roving in colour "Wolf".  I was so pleased with the last three ply yarn I did that I tried it again and I even surprised myself with how well this turned out.


The result, after washing and a good "whack-and-thwack" in the tub is about 120 yards of remarkably even, worsted weight yarn.


Not bad for a spinning wheel with only one bobbin eh?

7 comments:

  1. Very nice spinning Alison!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly - I'll bring it for 'show and tell' this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! The fibre stash is slowly growing and taking over so I really had to start doing something about it. I had a lot of fun spinning this up and now I'm looking for something to make with it. Off to Ravelry...

      Delete
  3. I am impressed with your spinning! And I smiled when reading about your moving socks. There is something incredibly stressful about a move. So stressful it makes you knit at a much tighter tension than you normally would. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving socks - a good expression. I'm a military brat and now a military spouse so you'd think I'd have handled that move better than I did!

      Delete
  4. Your handspun is beautiful!

    I also unearthed some bright red Regia 4-ply recently. I'd used it to knit fingerless gloves for an ex years ago, and now I'm not sure if I'll be able to knit anything with it without thinking of that time.

    ReplyDelete