Pages

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Something Totally Different

Something I didn't count on when I was finishing the Spring Celebration Wrap was the question of "What next?".   It's sort of like finishing a really good and engaging book; I was at a bit of a loss for what to do next.

But that didn't last long.  I've been hankering after a pair of fingerless mitts for most of the winter and I finally had some time to knock out a pair.  I had a ball of wool from my stash that I quite liked but was having trouble figuring out how to use.  This is Autumn Flame from Sweetgeorgia Yarns.


I found a simple pair of mitts on Ravelry called Chillchasers by Shannita Williams and they were perfect.  They were simple to make (only took 48 hours), long enough to cover my wrist and lower arm,


had a thumb that was worked into the design


and had something new for me to learn.  You see - I've never learned how to do an I-cord.  For 13 years or so, I've managed to dodge it.  Do you ever take an irrational dislike to something?  I did - to i-cords.  And I decided I was going to correct it.


The I cord, as you can see was easy enough to learn but ironically, in this case, I don't think it works.  I wore these at work today and the binding around the fingers was just a wee bit to firm.  I would have preferred a looser edge to allow more movement of fingers.  Perhaps next time.  Right now, I'm still marvelling that something so simple could do such a great job of keeping me warm in a cool office.

However, having finished them so fast, I'm back where I was.  What next?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, the colors in your mitts worked out near perfect! I can never get my pairs,usually socks, to match. :-D Good job getting that i-cord behind you,maybe you'll find a better use for it in a future project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! It's a question of perspective isn't it. I was thinking about how frustrating it is that varigated yarn ALWAYS pools in a spiral for me - no matter what I knit. But yes, they do match. Thanks for the reminder to see what worked and not focus on what didn't.

      Delete
  2. I just made some mitts but the pattern didn't have a thumb gusset. The next ones I make will. Even though it pooled, the yarn came out wonderfully well, and it's very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These were a hit at my office. There are a few others (all knitters) who are looking at them pretty closely.

      Delete