Pages

Thursday 18 April 2013

The Next Project

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

There are a couple new projects happening here.  The first is I've decided to move away from Google Reader and join Bloglovin' to follow everyone else's blog since Google Reader will be discontinued in July.  Makes me wonder how long Blogger will be around after that if they're going to take away the reader.  But I'll worry about that later.  In the meantime, I have to paste the above bit of code into my blog in order to 'claim' it.  So there it is - consider it claimed.

In other news, there has been almost no spinning happening because I've ordered a new spinning wheel!  I went out to a local shop about two weeks ago and spent a good while test driving spinning wheels.  This particular shop deals in both Ashford and Louet.  I tried them both, and several different models of each one.  I ended up deciding on an Ashford Traveller.  It's double treadle, single drive and it was absolutely effortless to spin on.  I easily could have sat there all afternoon.  While I was there, there was a lady who came in looking for sock yarn.  She stood and watched me for a while then said "Don't you find that boring?"  Wow.  I don't know how anybody could find this act of transformation from raw material to finished product boring.  But maybe she's the kind of person who reads tax legislation to relax.  Who knows.

Knitting however, is a different story.  I finished the red socks and have been playing around with a few lace patterns I found in a stitch dictionary.  I think I might have come up with something.  I started with this, a merino/silk blend from Indigodragonfly.


And came up with this.  I don't have a name for it yet, not sure if the pattern is public domain or not, but I do like it.


It will block out to be about 11 inches wide so I'll keep knitting and see how it turns out.

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh, that is some absolutely delicious-looking yarn! And what an intricate stitch pattern! Did you think up the general shape of it before beginning to knit, or did you create it row by row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess - the pattern isn't completely mine. The main motif comes from a stitch dictionary but I thought it was wonderful. The very thin edge motif is something I've known how to do for what feels like forever. I've seen it recorded as well but can't remember it's name. What is totally mine, is putting them together like this. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! You'll see it this weekend.

      Delete
  3. The swatch you're working on is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I'm hoping to make it into a scarf so lets hope it works this well as it grows longer.

      Delete