Pages

Sunday 10 June 2012

The Rumour Mill

For many years, my house was known as Fellinger's Mill.  It was originally built as a supply depot, it's been a restaurant, a B&B, and at one time, children's clothes were produced here.  It's enough of a landmark that the development that is going in around me is also called Fellinger's Mill.  When I'm speaking to people who have lived in the area for a long time, especially tradesmen, it's often easier to give my address as "Fellinger's Mill" rather than the actual street address.

Last weekend, Chuck went to an antiques auction not too far from here and got to talking to one of the fellows in the crowd.  I wasn't there, so I don't know how this particular conversation came up, but they got to talking about our house.  As soon as the other guy heard "Fellinger's Mill" he had to know the truth.  See, according to the local rumour mill, we're opening another restaurant.

Really? Not only am I notoriously cavalier about food safety, but I can hardly get my own meal on the table before eight most nights, let alone cook for the discerning public.

But what I'd really like to know is this:  How did this particular rumour get started?  I'm a software engineer, not a cook.  I've never had the slightest inclination to have a restaurant, a B&B or work in the hospitality industry.  I've never waited tables in my life.  And other than run a gas line into the kitchen for a gas range (normal size - five elements with an electric oven) I have done nothing to upgrade the kitchen.

Curiously enough, Chuck has previously mentioned that he'd like to start what can only be called a "neighbourhood watering hole" in the shed on the property.  He's actually mentioned this to me more than once.  I know we'd never get zoning permission to do it, but now he's even got a name for it.  


The Rumour Mill

No comments:

Post a Comment